What is it?
Shin splints is a common term for pain or inflammation occurring in the front and/or inside section of the tibia (shin bone).
Risk factors for shin splints include running and over-training on hills, poor biomechanics of the feet and legs and unsupportive footwear. Excessive pronation (rolling in) will lead to fatigue of the muscle and reduce shock absorption.
- Aches and pains felt along the shinbone
- The area is tender and sore to touch
- The overlying skin may be red and inflamed
- The pain may be felt before, during or after running
- Rest & ice
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory tablets
- Foot orthoses to prevent excessive pronation and stress on the muscles.
- Shockwave to enhance the healing process